Wednesday, April 26, 2006

All the little pieces...

So, I've spent some time today reading everyone's blogs and it seems like we're all finally in a very similar place--things are coming together. I'm very proud of the achievements that I've made so far in this class. I'm sure I've said this before, but I never thought I'd be able to create a website, publish it online, and be able to edit and improve it with ease before this semester. The concept of the internet, though very appealing from a user-perspective, always seemed to be this obtuse, intangible thing. All of a sudden though, I understand (at least basically) how things work and I'm confident that I can contribute to my profession with the skills that I've attained through this course.

That said, as I'm working on my final project, I'm still a little bit overwhelmed by what I'm doing. I've (happily) created, adjusted, and attached my very own--with some help from two little boxes--css style sheet that I feel works for my site. I've written a design document, drawn a flow chart and worked with my storyboard. I've researched design information and content information (I had totally forgot that I'd need to research the content for the site until just recently...it adds a whole new dimension of work to the project) and I feel that overall, I've made some strong progress. That said, I still have a TON of work to do. I know that Jim's said that our final site doesn't need to be a FINAL final site. As with most sites, it's a work in progress. But with the things that we've discussed, I feel like I need to incorporate so many interactive ideas into the work that I don't actually see an end in sight. For instance, right now I have 8 wikis attached to the site that function as my message boards. The good news is they're attached. The bad news is they're not pretty. So now, not only do I want to make sure I include good design and informative content on my site, I feel I need to improve the appearance of the external components as well. It's a situation where I'm not sure when good enough is good enough--and for a girl that's graduating in not so many days, I've got to figure it out sooner than later.

Anyway, I just needed to get that out. Hopefully after class today I'll have a better sense of what NEEDS to be done and what I can continue to tweak long after the semester comes to a close...

3 Comments:

Blogger AmyTheUte said...

hey jaci,

yes, i think we are all starting to end up in the same place. it just takes a lot longer than i think we actually have the patience for. it's very difficult to learn something brand-spanking-new... so i think we should be proud of ourselves for getting this far.

4:07 PM

 
Blogger Sarah Morris said...

I will echo what you have both said- I am definitely impressed by what I see when I click on people's final projects. It's amazing to see what we've been able to accomplish over the past few months. On the flip side (not to be Deputy Downer), and I feel like a broken record having said this on my blog and in a comment on Maria's, but I am constantly second guessing my skill. I know that that is a function of not having used them enough, so maybe by the end of this project I'll be set, but that makes me sad, since then I won't have anything to hone my skills with....catch 22 I guess.

5:10 AM

 
Blogger Belleza83 said...

Two Little Boxes is so great! I might even add a touch of student affairs and send them a thank you card! They're site is very helpful, and has helped me create my site! Well, I am sure your final project will be among the best since you have used your skills at work and in class to enhance your performance. I haven't been able to use my skills at work (we have a tech persona already....I may have her job soon *hee hee*) (j/k). Either way, I can't wait to look through everyone's projects at the end of next week, and see how much we've learned (or not). I also like this little blogging thing, I have a separate one for my personal use! Have a great weekend and happy designing! :)

10:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home