Tuesday, March 07, 2006

CSS Style Sheets: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Okay, so in thinking about CSS style sheets, I thought it would be easiest for me to compile a list of things I know about them, and another list of things that I'm still confused about. Hopefully this will provide me with more clarity and Jim with some ideas about my progress. Here goes:

Things I know about CSS style sheets-
1. CSS style sheets are useful because, once linked to your webpages, they make each page appear consistent. This is especially important when you're working on a site with a million (or more) pages because hand coding them each would be exceptionally time consuming.
2. You create a CSS style sheet by selecting the rectangle with the plus in the corner of the CSS Style Sheets window and adding/changing the specifications there.
3. If you want to make a change to your CSS style sheet internally, you would mark "apply to this one page" (that's not really what it says, but you get my drift) on the first window that pops up after selecting the rectangle with the plus, and go from there.
4. If you want to make a change to your CSS style sheet externally (i.e. create a style sheet that you can link to other pages) you would save it as a certain .css document.

Things that I'm still confused about when it comes to CSS style sheets-
1. I still can't, for the life of me, make them link correctly. Jim, I know you've shown me, but I think repetition is key for me here.
2. I haven't been able to make a CSS style sheet that does what I want it to. I think I'm trying to make it fancier than we know how to make it, and if so I just need to hold on a sec, but if we should be able to make it do whatever we want, then I'm in trouble.

Here's what I propose:
1. I figure out what the heck I want my webpage to look like. I think once I have a better idea of what I'm doing, I'll be able to create a CSS style sheet that does what I want it to. Right now, I am the blind leading my blind self.
2. If it's possible, I think it would be extremely helpful to work on our CSS style sheets in a workshop type time during class. One of the things that I've noticed is that, so far, I watch Jim and Slava do their presentations, I understand it (or at least I think I do), I leave feeling confident that I finally know what's up, and I go home to find out that I have no idea how to recreate what they did. If we had a chance in class (and I know it would take up time, but I really think it would be useful) to work individually on a style sheet and ask Jim and/or Slava for help if we get stuck, I think it would open my eyes to a whole new world of web design.

On a happier note, I think I've decided what I want my site to be dedicated to: Students returning from study abroad & the resources that are available to them to aid in their "reverse culture shock"/re-acculturation issues. I need to compile information about resources at NYU and in NYC, but I am certain that they exist and I think it would be very useful for students who return to campus. Woo for brainstorming!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy Diamond said...

Okay Jaci,

I think that you're suggestion about a CSS workshop is a good one. We'll see if we can't d something like this tonight.

Your synopsis is a good one. We have essentially focused on two ways of creating style sheets: internally (which are created in a style tag, which in turn lives inside of the head tag on a page) and externally (where we define our html tags, classes, and IDs and don't need a style tag). Internal styling will control that one pag; external styling will control any and all pages to which it is linked.

Remember that we are using CSS primarily for presentation: anytime that you find yourself saying, "I want this to look a certain way," you should probably be using style sheets.

I'm not sure why you're having a problem linking. you shoud just be able to press the "Attach Style Sheet" button. You also need to remember that any internal styles will override external styling.

6:51 AM

 
Blogger Belleza83 said...

I'm sure CSS has become more of your friend with practice, and I'm also learning more as I make errors and experiement more. Documenting what you do can help with any of the exercises we do for class. (i.e. I clicked this button and got this menu and then typed this in whatever text box thingy, lol) Good luck! =)

12:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home